For a PE team member taking on either their first board director roles or are actively supporting a PE partner ( either as a board observer or in a close support role ), a board of directors represents a challenging environment with a complex mix of CEO/executive team directors, chairman, independent non-exec directors within a corporate governance framework of varying levels of maturity. In today’s environment, there are significant expectations placed on the shoulders of board directors to not only discharge their fiduciary responsibilities but to make a significant high-value contribution to the effectiveness of the board of directors.
Board Excellence have developed a unique PE team member mentoring programme which provides key support in the background to a PE partner/team member board director or a PE team member operating in a board observer capacity supporting a partner. Board Excellence’s PE staff mentor programme focuses on developing their board expertise and skills with a particular focus on
- Board Director responsibilities
- Preparation for & engagement at board meetings
- Effective high-quality contribution
- Non-executive directors – independence & impartiality
- Executive directors – partnership with board
- Chairman – board process and leadership
- Understanding organisational performance
- Relationship with fellow board members
- Constructive challenge & handling conflict
- Crisis management
- Financial & legal – assessment & compliance
- Risk management
This is a very practical one-on-one mentor programme which can be integrated with any internal training for PE staff on board director training, board duties, corporate governance & effectiveness.